High-bulk polyester yarn and acrylic yarn are two different types of yarn used in various textile applications.
High-bulk polyester yarn
- Made from synthetic fibers produced through a chemical process
- Has a soft texture and good drape
- Resistant to wrinkles, shrinkage, and mildew
- Retains its shape and color well after repeated washes and wears
- Produces a warm and lightweight fabric
- Used in clothing, activewear, and home furnishings
- Made from synthetic fibers produced through the polymerization of acrylonitrile
- Has a wool-like texture and is easy to work with
- Lightweight, soft, and dries quickly
- Resistant to shrinkage and stretching
- Retains its shape well and holds color well
- Used for making a wide variety of clothing items and accessories, such as sweaters and hats
Polyester yarn vs acrylic yarn: 5 features
Polyester yarn and acrylic yarn are two types of synthetic yarn that are commonly used in textile applications. In terms of differences, polyester yarn is known for being more durable and stronger than acrylic yarn, while acrylic yarn feels softer and is often used in more delicate projects – this makes it better suited for clothing that will be worn next to the skin. Polyester yarn comes in a wider range of textures and uses and could be used in warmer climates too where acrylic yarn gets too warm to work with.
Top 5 features of polyester yarn
- Soft and drapeable: High bulk polyester yarn has a soft texture and a good drape, which makes it ideal for creating fabrics that flow well and feel comfortable against the skin.
- Lightweight: Fabrics made with high bulk polyester yarn are lightweight, which makes them ideal for use in clothing and other textile applications where bulk or weight might be an issue.
- Resistant to wrinkles and shrinkage: High bulk polyester yarn is highly resistant to wrinkles and shrinkage, which makes it low-maintenance and easy to care for.
- Retains color and shape: Fabrics made with high bulk polyester yarn retain their color and shape well, even after repeated washes and wears.
- Versatile: High bulk polyester yarn can be used in a wide range of textile applications, including clothing, activewear, and home furnishings.
Top 5 features of acrylic yarn
- Soft and lightweight: Acrylic yarn has a soft texture and is lightweight, which makes it comfortable to wear and easy to work with.
- Easy to care: Acrylic yarn is machine washable and dryable, making it very easy to care for.
- Resistant to shrinkage and stretching: Acrylic yarn is very resistant to shrinking and stretching, so it retains its shape well even after repeated washing and wearing.
- Good color retention: Acrylic yarn is excellent at retaining its color, even after being exposed to sunlight, washing or ironing.
- Affordable: Acrylic yarn is usually more affordable than natural fibers like wool or cotton, making it a popular choice for many crafters and makers.